Sitting on the balcony of our less than stellar upper west side hotel in New York, my husband and I noticed this ornate building looking all stately and grand just down the street. I fantasized about who was lucky enough to live there. If the exterior was this magnificent how great must the interior be? I had a mission. I must find out the name of this building, pictures..anything. I hopped on googlemaps - if you haven't played with the "street view" option - you simply must. I scoped out a small gold name plate on the backside of the building. The Ansonia. I found a fantastic article about it (see link below). I struck gold! Evidently, it was the Babe's first New York home after being dissed by Boston. Fighter Jack Dempsey, Ziegfield (of the Follies fame), opera singers, and Broadway performers also lived there. It was also the birthplace of baseball's infamous Black Sox scandal. The Ansonia even featured poolside entertainment in the "bathhouse" in the basement: some gal named Bette Midler and her piano player Barry Manilow. Is this a movie waiting to happen or what? There is an x-rated side to it as well, but you'll have to read that on your own.
http://nymag.com/nymetro/realestate/features/1871/

No comments:
Post a Comment