Only you...in Italy.

Robert Downey Jr. & Marisa Tomei in Only You
I'm a sap. I'll get lost in a good chic movie and I'll watch it a hundred times.  Only You is one of those movies - not because Robert Downey Jr. is especially handsome or Marisa Tomei is the greatest actress ever - my real love in this movie is...the scenery.

A lot of movies have been a boon to Italian tourism; Under the Tuscan Sun and Roman Holiday for example.  But this movie in particular introduces us to the dreaminess that is Positano and makes the romantic sap in all of us want to call a travel agent right NOW.

Positano was a poor little fishing village located about 200 miles south of Rome on the Almafi coast.  Now, tourism is now Positano's major industry along with.... Limoncello. Lemons are big and plentiful in this region and the people of Positano have mastered the art of making the perfect blend of lemons, sugar and booze. 

View from Le Sirenuse Hotel, Positano

In the movie, Marisa Tomei's character runs all over Italy chasing a man who's name she got from an ouija board when she was young.  She thinks he's her destiny.  When she reaches Positano, she meets Billy Zane's character here at the pool at Le Sirenuse Hotel.



 Frankly, I would have been a lot more excited about the pool.



 and the room....






and the restaurant...




Romantic, no? But if you still need a little help in that area, most rooms at Le Sirenuse have a balcony overlooking the sea, La Sonda restaurant (pictured above) has hundreds of twinkling candles and a mandolin and guitar player, and the hotel has an Aveda Concept Spa and an oyster and champagne bar.  Aahhh..that's the ticket.  We won't talk room rates because that will just ruin it for everyone.

In the end, Marisa finds her Mr. Right and all is well (yeah, like you didn't see that comin'). For more views of beautiful Positano see the movie below....

Diane Lane and some hottie in "Under The Tuscan Sun"
Here's a great insider's guide to Positano.
For more movies with great scenery, enter these titles in TripScout's search box: Roman Holiday, Something's Gotta Give, The Holiday and The Truman Show.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I didn’t dip my toe in an ocean until I turned 25 and my friend Sandy and I traveled to Puerta Vallarta, Mexico. After that week, I was hooked. I loved being somewhere new; smelling the smells, tasting new food, seeing how other people lived. It energized me. As luck would have it, I landed a job that allowed me to travel all over the US and often to Canada. Being a sports event television producer, I was on the road all the time. That's when my love affair with travel began. Now, its 20 years later and still no one gets more “geeked up” about planning a vacation than I do. All I need is a destination and some travel companions and my fire is lit! I start delving into my favorite hotel sites, sifting through photos and reviews, comparing, contrasting -it’s like an addiction. The travel shows with tips and trends? I study them like a playbook. I LOVE doing the things most people hate doing before they go on vacation. Whether it be searching for a food tasting tour with a local or discovering a romantic B&B in the middle of New York - I’ve found it and I’ll share it with you. So....where should we go?