A New Place to Hang...

Cancun penthouse
If you've read this blog before you know that I mention Trip Advisor.com well...a lot.  It's my "cheat sheet" for considering a hotel.  I scan through the reviews, toss out the "overly glowing" and the "overly critical" and focus on the meat in the middle.  I try not to let myself get too freaked out about someone seeing a bug in their hotel room or smelling something "funny" or the worst - those dreaded two words: Bed. Bugs.  Obviously, there's huge value in "knowing before you go" and I like the fact that I can read a review from someone who was just there yesterday.   Now I have a new reason to like Trip Advisor - Flip Key.com.

Jackson Hole, WY
Sometimes staying in a hotel just won't work for you.. maybe you're traveling with a big group of friends or family and they all want to hang together. If you've ever considered renting an apartment, condo or even a massive house with plenty of bedrooms, you've probably  seen VRBO.com, Home Away.com, or even www.beachhouse.com.  


All are fairly helpful sites and offer individually owned properties all over the world - but Flip Key has those user-generated reviews with which Trip Advisor has built an empire.  You can't argue with success.

Florida Keys Cottage
So go...pick out a few places, read the reviews and then here's a little tip:  choose a handful of properties you like and email them all...make them negotiate for your business...you can get the deal you want in the place you want.  You may just find your next home away from home.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I didn’t dip my toe in an ocean until I turned 25 and my friend Sandy and I traveled to Puerta Vallarta, Mexico. After that week, I was hooked. I loved being somewhere new; smelling the smells, tasting new food, seeing how other people lived. It energized me. As luck would have it, I landed a job that allowed me to travel all over the US and often to Canada. Being a sports event television producer, I was on the road all the time. That's when my love affair with travel began. Now, its 20 years later and still no one gets more “geeked up” about planning a vacation than I do. All I need is a destination and some travel companions and my fire is lit! I start delving into my favorite hotel sites, sifting through photos and reviews, comparing, contrasting -it’s like an addiction. The travel shows with tips and trends? I study them like a playbook. I LOVE doing the things most people hate doing before they go on vacation. Whether it be searching for a food tasting tour with a local or discovering a romantic B&B in the middle of New York - I’ve found it and I’ll share it with you. So....where should we go?