Ski AND Sun?

Taos Ski Valley
Think skiing.  Now think of a skiing destination.  Let me guess; you're thinking Park City, Utah or maybe Aspen, Colorado...right? Ever considered New Mexico?  Honestly, I didn't even realize it snowed there (geography was never really my thing) ....and there are mountains?!  Surprisingly, there are plenty of places to ski in New Mexico. The mountains are beautiful and the weather couldn't be more perfect for those who like to ski but don't like to be cold.  What?! (Yeah, we're out there).  In New Mexico, you can ski all day and then retreat to the bottom of the mountain for warm, sunny weather.  How great is that?  Most of the resorts are family owned and operated creating a casual, easy going attitude and plenty of personal service.  Here's the best part:  The cost of skiing in New Mexico is significantly less than what it costs in those hoity toity, "go to" locations. So, if you're looking for some family fun this winter that won't cause your wallet to spontaneously combust this may just be the "lift" ticket you're looking for (wink).  


Dragon Fly Estate
I found this southwestern style vacation rental in the Taos Ski Valley located right between the town and the mountains. It sleeps 8+ .  Perfect for a couple of families to hang out in together.  Here's the link: http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p180420
If you're looking for more of a resort style vacation try:  http://www.angelfireresort.com/winter/

Sandia Peak Tramway
Check out the Sandia Peak Tramway in Albuquerque. From the web site: "At sunset the desert skies produce a spectacular array of color, and your vantage point from the observation deck atop 10,378 foot Sandia Peak in the Cibola National Forest affords an 11,000 square-mile panoramic view of the Rio Grande Valley and the Land of Enchantment." Sounds nice, doesn't it?  I visited this area in the summer and went mountain biking. I'm not an out-doorsy girl and I was scared to death but WOW! what a thrilling and memorable experience. Great town, too.  Fabulous food.  See http://www.sandiapeak.com/

Here are some other sites for more info, snow reports, live mountain web cams etc.:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I didn’t dip my toe in an ocean until I turned 25 and my friend Sandy and I traveled to Puerta Vallarta, Mexico. After that week, I was hooked. I loved being somewhere new; smelling the smells, tasting new food, seeing how other people lived. It energized me. As luck would have it, I landed a job that allowed me to travel all over the US and often to Canada. Being a sports event television producer, I was on the road all the time. That's when my love affair with travel began. Now, its 20 years later and still no one gets more “geeked up” about planning a vacation than I do. All I need is a destination and some travel companions and my fire is lit! I start delving into my favorite hotel sites, sifting through photos and reviews, comparing, contrasting -it’s like an addiction. The travel shows with tips and trends? I study them like a playbook. I LOVE doing the things most people hate doing before they go on vacation. Whether it be searching for a food tasting tour with a local or discovering a romantic B&B in the middle of New York - I’ve found it and I’ll share it with you. So....where should we go?