A little diddy 'bout Jack & Diane.

Jack Nicholson & Diane Keaton
Back in 2003, Diane Keaton and Jack Nicholson starred in a little romantic comedy called "Somethings Gotta Give".  Although it wasn't even close to the Academy- Award-winning-high-drama these two are known for, it's one of those movies I watch over and over again for a really silly reason:  I love the sets.  The story is nice too, but seriously, the interior of Diane's character's home in the Hamptons is beyond dreamy.  Apparently, I'm not the only one who feels this way because I've found countless interior design articles, several blogs, and even magazine covers devoted to the interior design of this house - a house that doesn't even exist (see the Architectural Digest link below). So many people have tried to copy it, it's even referred to as the "SGG house".


The Living Room
Kitchen
Pool
The House
Sadly, as far as I know, a house in the Hamptons is probably not in my future, but maybe I can stay somewhere that might have that same "fabulous beachhouse" feeling and perhaps slightly resemble it?  I think I've found a place.....

Amelia Island is on the Atlantic coast of Florida near the Georgia border.  It's weird to call it an island because it doesn't look like your typical island.  There's only a thin strip of water separating it from the rest of Florida.  Because of that, it's easy to get to - just a 35 mile drive from the Jacksonville airport.  The island has 13 miles of pristine beaches, golf, boutiques & fine dining. It also has a wonderful B&B called Elizabeth Pointe Lodge on Fernandina Beach.

Elizabeth Pointe Lodge
At first I thought, "ooooo, a little too Amityville Horror for me" but that was before I looked inside....
Guestroom
Another Guestroom
Kitchen
Get me a good book and a glass of wine, stat!
The reviews of this place couldn't be better.  From their web site:  "The Elizabeth Pointe Lodge is described by the guide "1000 Places To See Before You Die" as an inn "where the emphasis is on pure relaxation." The Pointe was recognized as one of "the fifty great beach resorts" in America by Travel and Leisure Magazine".  I've also found glowing reviews everywhere from http://travel.yahoo.com to www.tripadvisor.comIf you're looking for a discounted nightly rate it's listed on www.expedia.com as well (tip: when you search it, don't forget the "e" at the end of the word "Pointe").  Elizabeth Pointe Lodge is obviously perfect for a relaxing, romantic getaway. They even feature a package called a "Babymoon" for expectant mothers with a pre-natal massage for mom and a deep tissue massage for dad. 

Amelia Island might not be the Hamptons, and I might not find Jack there, but it's less crowded and a little more affordable. Meanwhile, I'll keep dreaming and I'll keep looking for more places like this....(sigh).

P.S.  The soundtrack for Something's Gotta Give is equally dreamy.  Listen to some samples & pick up a copy here: 
http://music.barnesandnoble.com/Somethings-Gotta-Give/e/827969091128

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I didn’t dip my toe in an ocean until I turned 25 and my friend Sandy and I traveled to Puerta Vallarta, Mexico. After that week, I was hooked. I loved being somewhere new; smelling the smells, tasting new food, seeing how other people lived. It energized me. As luck would have it, I landed a job that allowed me to travel all over the US and often to Canada. Being a sports event television producer, I was on the road all the time. That's when my love affair with travel began. Now, its 20 years later and still no one gets more “geeked up” about planning a vacation than I do. All I need is a destination and some travel companions and my fire is lit! I start delving into my favorite hotel sites, sifting through photos and reviews, comparing, contrasting -it’s like an addiction. The travel shows with tips and trends? I study them like a playbook. I LOVE doing the things most people hate doing before they go on vacation. Whether it be searching for a food tasting tour with a local or discovering a romantic B&B in the middle of New York - I’ve found it and I’ll share it with you. So....where should we go?