Shoot! Where's the camera?

Blessed Sacrament Roman Catholic Church
I came across a great article today.  Similar to my last post, the writer talked about how the greatest vacation memories happen while you were planning on something else and how having a mission - something as simple as finding a new place for breakfast every morning - can make your vacation special.  Funny, how you never seem to remember to take a photo of it.  

I thought of our recent family vacation in New York and recalled when my daughter and I, out shopping one morning, stopped by a century old cathedral squeezed between two huge apartment buildings.  We tiptoed in, took a seat, and listened to the organist practice.  Awestruck, we admired the stained glass and the breathtaking Jesus on the cross suspended above the alter.  In between songs, we heard the loud snores of the homeless people sleeping in the pews.  

It was an amazing moment for both of us.  She'd never seen anything like it before, and I couldn't stop marveling at the beauty and history of it all.  Magnificent.  Although I could have snuck a few photos, it didn't feel appropriate at the time, so I'm left with this one that I borrowed from a wedding photographer (see watermark).


Sure, I've got plenty of photos of the Empire State Building, the Statue of Liberty and Central Park.  But none of the friendly pizza shop owner who baked little pies hot and fresh especially for us girls, the tiny restaurant in Chinatown where the waitress marveled at my daughter's chop stick skills, the sweetheart hotel doorman who took the time to chat us up every morning.  These little things are the things that will make me smile when I think back to this trip. Where was the camera then?  Oh, I know...all snug in it's case at the bottom of my bag.


The Best Travel Photos You Didn't Take

3 comments:

Unknown said...

St. Patrick's Cathedral?

NAOMI THOMPSON said...

Blessed Sacrament Roman Catholic Church

Unknown said...

I would so love to have copies of these photos -- my husband and I were married there and are about to celebrate our 20th Anniversary. Any way I could procure the jpegs? Delighted to pay for these beautiful images.

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I didn’t dip my toe in an ocean until I turned 25 and my friend Sandy and I traveled to Puerta Vallarta, Mexico. After that week, I was hooked. I loved being somewhere new; smelling the smells, tasting new food, seeing how other people lived. It energized me. As luck would have it, I landed a job that allowed me to travel all over the US and often to Canada. Being a sports event television producer, I was on the road all the time. That's when my love affair with travel began. Now, its 20 years later and still no one gets more “geeked up” about planning a vacation than I do. All I need is a destination and some travel companions and my fire is lit! I start delving into my favorite hotel sites, sifting through photos and reviews, comparing, contrasting -it’s like an addiction. The travel shows with tips and trends? I study them like a playbook. I LOVE doing the things most people hate doing before they go on vacation. Whether it be searching for a food tasting tour with a local or discovering a romantic B&B in the middle of New York - I’ve found it and I’ll share it with you. So....where should we go?