Goin' to Mexico....in my mind...again.

Casamagna Lobby
Since I've been getting a lot of questions about Mexico lately, I decided to re-run this post about my favorite hotel in Cancun.  Also, see my post "Top 500 Hotels in the World" for more info on this resort.

I heard a Ricky Martin song today quite by accident.  Alright, so I listened to it on purpose (I know, I know...Ricky Martin, but he's hot...I mean talented).  I needed a little escape and sometimes certain songs will take me right back to the beach and the memory is so vivid it makes me giddy. Anyway, It reminded me of last February - being on the beach in Cancun with good friends - pure bliss.

There are so many hotels to choose from in Cancun - it's easy to get overwhelmed.  My favorite so far is the Marriott Casamagna Resort. It's the kind of place that is such a perfect fit, you don't want to mess with it.  Not too over the top yet still beautiful and the price is right. Good location. Great service.  Fantastic food.  You can bring a group of friends or your family or just go as a couple. It just hits all the right marks.  In other words, it's my sure thing. 

It's located along the hotel zone. Hop on the bus right outside the hotel and for less than a dollar and in less than 10 minutes you are in the heart of Cancun - shopping malls, restaurants and crazy dance clubs - it's all right there.  But, if good food is your mission, you don't have to travel very far.  One of my favorite restaurants in Cancun is located right inside the hotel. Mikado serves up fantastic Japanese, Thai, and delectable sushi.  Have a drink at their beautiful outdoor bar and then dine quietly or sit at a lively teppanyaki table and watch the chef work his magic. There's also a steakhouse and a sports bar among others.  Plenty of choices, so if you don't want to stray too far from the beach or your bed, the hotel does offer an all inclusive option.

Casamagna Guestroom
The guestrooms are spacious and so very, very clean. Nice linens and good pillows.  Each ocean view room has a balcony. Don't even bother with "lagoon-view" - that doesn't even sound good, does it?  The photo below illustrates the difference perfectly - which would you choose?  the gorgeous electric blue ocean? or the ho hum view from the other side?
  

The pool scene is relaxing and quiet - not exactly rockin' - which is a definitely appreciated after a night on the town. Great service at the swim-up bar and yummy pool food, plus waiter service on the beach.

Pool.  Swim-up bar is on the right.
I gambled once and stayed somewhere else - I was wooed by funky, chic decor.  Big mistake.  We ended up hanging out at the Casamagna Marriott anyway- enjoying an delicious martini in the lobby lounge while listening to the fantastic house band, buying ridiculously large hats in their gift shop and talking the bellman into getting us discounted passes into some of the clubs downtown.  They took great care of us even though we weren't guests of the hotel.  We were sad we weren't staying there - I won't stray again.

Now, back to my mental vacation....Tu Recuerdo is the name of song which in English means "your memory".  Isn't that ironic? 
Here's the video: Ricky Martin - Tu Recuerdo Video.

Casamagna Beach
Since winter has been so horrible everywhere this year and everyone is running for the sun, you're going to have to really hunt for a good deal - especially on flights.  Check Travelocity or Expedia and Kayak.  Also, check out the hotel's web sight for a "4th night free" offer. Casamagna Marriott Cancun Resort.

..oh and gracias, caliente Ricardo.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I didn’t dip my toe in an ocean until I turned 25 and my friend Sandy and I traveled to Puerta Vallarta, Mexico. After that week, I was hooked. I loved being somewhere new; smelling the smells, tasting new food, seeing how other people lived. It energized me. As luck would have it, I landed a job that allowed me to travel all over the US and often to Canada. Being a sports event television producer, I was on the road all the time. That's when my love affair with travel began. Now, its 20 years later and still no one gets more “geeked up” about planning a vacation than I do. All I need is a destination and some travel companions and my fire is lit! I start delving into my favorite hotel sites, sifting through photos and reviews, comparing, contrasting -it’s like an addiction. The travel shows with tips and trends? I study them like a playbook. I LOVE doing the things most people hate doing before they go on vacation. Whether it be searching for a food tasting tour with a local or discovering a romantic B&B in the middle of New York - I’ve found it and I’ll share it with you. So....where should we go?