BBQ and Blues, baby.

Mr. BB King
Although my husband claims to read all of my posts - I'm thinking perhaps not. I'm hoping he misses this one because he's got a big birthday coming this summer and I'm surprising him with his two favorite things:  barbecue and blues.  I'm taking him to Memphis.

I visited Memphis a long, long time ago and I still have vivid memories of hopping from one rockin' club to another on Beale Street. I was in awe because the music just seemed to get more and more unbelievable at every joint. (I'm so hip I threw in the word "joint").  Even the street musicians were so fantastic that it stopped me in my tracks and without thinking I was digging in my pockets for money- lots of money - to toss into their hats. Dancers, singers, saxophone players....each one so talented... and they're just the ones performing on street corners...

I know he'll love it... so back to the planning.  Where to stay?  It seems there's a bit of a shortage of unique hotels to chose from in Memphis.  I try to steer clear of anything with a Hampton, Holiday, Courtyard or Residence in the name. A little uppity maybe, but really I'm a sucker for unique and boutique. The most interesting place I could find is the art deco styled Madison Hotel.



From their web site:  The intimate martini lounge, lobby mezzanine, world-class fitness room, indoor pool and sweeping rooftop garden offer multiple options for a relaxing escape.   
They had me at "martini lounge" but the view of the Mississippi from their rooftop really won me over.
Pretty, yes?

Well, we have a place to stay, now on to the food.  Everyone has an opinion about BBQ.  Should it be sweet?  Should it be spicy?  Should it be spelled out?!


Guy Fieri
Finding the best barbecue in Memphis is a job that requires a professional. Enter Guy Fieri of "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives". A talented chef in his own right, Guy travels all over the country finding the best of the best food in places you'd most likely never find on your own - unless you're a local.  This Guy knows good food and there's so much great barbecue in Memphis, it required it's own episode.  See Guy's picks below.
Johnny Cash
Of course, our very first stop for music will be BB King's Blues ClubYou can't visit the home of the blues without paying respects to the legend himself.  And speaking of legends.....here it is in all it's cheesy glory - GRACELAND!  Really, I'm excited to go just to say I've been there....and to witness the Jungle Room, of course.  Another "must" on the itinerary: a tour of Sun Studio "the birthplace of rock and roll" where Elvis was first discovered and legendary music was recorded by the likes of Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison and Jerry Lee Lewis.

Wow! I'm excited!!!  Wait, this trip is for my husband, right? 

Updates to follow...


Diners, Drive-ins and Dives: Episode 307 - Memphis BBQ Tour
Tom's Bar-B-Q
4087 Getwell Road
Memphis, TN 38118
Tel: (901) 365-6690

Marlowe's Ribs
4381 Elvis Presley Blvd
Memphis, TN 38116
Tel: (901) 332-4159

Leonard's BBQ
5465 Fox Plaza Drive
Memphis, TN 38115
Tel: (901) 360-1963

Cozy Corner
745 N Parkway
Memphis, TN 38105


from:  Foodnetwork.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I didn’t dip my toe in an ocean until I turned 25 and my friend Sandy and I traveled to Puerta Vallarta, Mexico. After that week, I was hooked. I loved being somewhere new; smelling the smells, tasting new food, seeing how other people lived. It energized me. As luck would have it, I landed a job that allowed me to travel all over the US and often to Canada. Being a sports event television producer, I was on the road all the time. That's when my love affair with travel began. Now, its 20 years later and still no one gets more “geeked up” about planning a vacation than I do. All I need is a destination and some travel companions and my fire is lit! I start delving into my favorite hotel sites, sifting through photos and reviews, comparing, contrasting -it’s like an addiction. The travel shows with tips and trends? I study them like a playbook. I LOVE doing the things most people hate doing before they go on vacation. Whether it be searching for a food tasting tour with a local or discovering a romantic B&B in the middle of New York - I’ve found it and I’ll share it with you. So....where should we go?