The World's Most Traveled Man

Chares Vehey - I think he's the one smiling.
Today, I read an interesting article on the World's most traveled man- Charles Vehey - who has visited 823 of the world's 872 countries. wow.  Who has the time or the money? Evidently, this guy.  It's taken him 8 years but, what it doesn't mention is how much it's cost him - now that would be interesting.

He and some other "professional travelers" offer some tips and advice in the article. They all recommend packing "light".  One woman said that she can be gone for 5 weeks and only use one carry-on. Impossible. I need one carry-on just for hair products. Plus, I like to have options;  1. the ability to dress up or dress down and 2. fat day clothes and skinny day clothes (women know exactly what I mean) not to mention handbags and shoes, hello.  My guess is this woman travels alone because unless you have laundry facilities everywhere you go, she's going to be a little ripe near the end of the five weeks.

I've heard one of the other suggestions before and it confuses me: shipping your bag instead of paying airline fees to check it. I have a few questions:  I have to pack a bag and ship it several days before I travel, right? what if it doesn't arrive when I do? what if I require items from it before I leave? And what makes no sense to me at all is that it's still going to cost me $50 to ship it, so what's the point?  I'd love to hear from you if you've done this and why it works for you.

Here's a tip: Fly Southwest where every bag flies free or get a credit card that will pay those fees for you...and wash your clothes, Stinky McStinkerson.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I didn’t dip my toe in an ocean until I turned 25 and my friend Sandy and I traveled to Puerta Vallarta, Mexico. After that week, I was hooked. I loved being somewhere new; smelling the smells, tasting new food, seeing how other people lived. It energized me. As luck would have it, I landed a job that allowed me to travel all over the US and often to Canada. Being a sports event television producer, I was on the road all the time. That's when my love affair with travel began. Now, its 20 years later and still no one gets more “geeked up” about planning a vacation than I do. All I need is a destination and some travel companions and my fire is lit! I start delving into my favorite hotel sites, sifting through photos and reviews, comparing, contrasting -it’s like an addiction. The travel shows with tips and trends? I study them like a playbook. I LOVE doing the things most people hate doing before they go on vacation. Whether it be searching for a food tasting tour with a local or discovering a romantic B&B in the middle of New York - I’ve found it and I’ll share it with you. So....where should we go?