Kids + Beach = Spring Break Perfection

In my quest to find something new and different to do on spring break with my fam, I've happened upon a movie themed vacation again...sorry.  But, this one was purely coincidental, I swear.  Do you remember the movie from 1998 called "The Truman Show" starring Jim Carrey and a sort of creepy/cool Ed Harris?  I always thought the pastel colored town they lived in was on some studio back lot somewhere, but it actually does exist.  It's Seaside, Florida.

Seaside is an adorable little town set on the shores of Florida's northwest coast just south of Destin. The candy colored cottages come in all shapes and sizes and price ranges. Each one is unique - some even have towers with amazing views and cool bunk-hangouts that kids would just love.  It's really IS idyllic, which of course is why it was perfect for this movie.



Most of the homes are available to rent and can fit any sized group.  You could sit for hours (and I have) and browse inside all of these beautiful cottages at The Seaside Cottage Rental Agency site.  Some are for sale (I can't even go there).  Seaside is a family friendly beach town with plenty to do.  It has a darling market place, art galleries, an amphitheater and 3 community pools (one just for adults) and well as a swim & tennis club with ideas for activities for everybody.  

Ride a bike, nap on the porch, go paint some pottery or visit the farmer's market. Then throw in a little high-end shopping and fine dining (yay! a girl needs a little down time) and you have a perfect day.  There are a lot of community-wide events too.  This New Year's Eve, for example, they'll have live music, street performers and a fireworks display at midnight over the Gulf of Mexico.  Sounds like good, wholesome family fun to me.  I'm lovin' that.

Gorgeous
Can this just be my house, please?
If a cottage seems a bit much and you're looking for accommodations that are a bit more modest - let's not kid ourselves - affordable, there are smaller hotel-like rooms, bungalows, town homes, and even the Seaside Motor Court.  Nine totally adorable little cottages right across the street from the big beautiful beach.
"No Tell Motel" cute!
Seaside Motor Court Room
Elizabeth Dorney's photo blog has some great information and gorgeous photos of things in and around Seaside.  Here are a few of her beautiful photos including one of the Melt Down -  a grilled cheese cafe in an Airstream trailer. What kid (or grown up for that matter) can resist a good, gooey grilled cheese?


The Melt Down

Check out Seaside's website for more info.  Also, take a look at independent vacation rental sites like VRBO (vacation rental by owner) to see if you can find a better rate than what is offered through the city's rental agency.

C'mon, bring the kids over. We'll bbq some fresh shrimp and take a walk on the beach at sunset.  Great memories to be had, I'm sure.  This place might have just taken the top spot on the spring break consideration list....

Postcard Pretty
Here are some more sites with more great info on Seaside.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I didn’t dip my toe in an ocean until I turned 25 and my friend Sandy and I traveled to Puerta Vallarta, Mexico. After that week, I was hooked. I loved being somewhere new; smelling the smells, tasting new food, seeing how other people lived. It energized me. As luck would have it, I landed a job that allowed me to travel all over the US and often to Canada. Being a sports event television producer, I was on the road all the time. That's when my love affair with travel began. Now, its 20 years later and still no one gets more “geeked up” about planning a vacation than I do. All I need is a destination and some travel companions and my fire is lit! I start delving into my favorite hotel sites, sifting through photos and reviews, comparing, contrasting -it’s like an addiction. The travel shows with tips and trends? I study them like a playbook. I LOVE doing the things most people hate doing before they go on vacation. Whether it be searching for a food tasting tour with a local or discovering a romantic B&B in the middle of New York - I’ve found it and I’ll share it with you. So....where should we go?