It's Hollywood, baby.

Oyster.com sent me a great email yesterday: Oyster Hollywood Hotels with History(Oyster is a site that features unbiased hotel reviews and undoctored photos by experienced writer/travelers.)  I love a hotel with a great back story and as we know, there are quite a few in Hollywood; Dean and Frank sang in this lounge, Marilyn slept here, Led Zepplin rode motorcycles through this lobby, and where did Belushi O.D.?   Oyster narrowed it down their top 10 faves. After looking at photos of some of the best places to stalk modern day celebrities (The Chateau Marmont and The Beverly Hills Hotel) I realized that they're definitely priced to keep out the riff-raff, ie; me.  Sure, you might run into some big names by the pool or in the bar, but the rooms are not that special for $500 per night.  There are other hotels to choose from that might not attract the current celebrity crowd but still have a cool history.

The Beverly Hilton
The Beverly Hilton has hosted the Golden Globes since 1961 as well as 175 red carpet events per year. Having just undergone a major renovation in 2006, the Hilton has a fresh new "old" look and is a bargain at $160 per night.

If it's a hideaway you're looking for, who knows where to hide better than the mob?  The Georgian Hotel was a favorite spot for Bugsy Siegal and Al Capone in the 20's - it even had a speakeasy in the basement during prohibition.  It's a smaller, boutique hotel with beautifully updated rooms and a great porch for hanging out.  Plus, just a short walk across the street and you're on the beach.  It's priced right at $224 per night.


The Georgian
Guest room at The Georgian
Lillian Gish


This one is probably my favorite: The Maison 140 Beverly Hills is a unique little hotel in the former home of actress Lillian Gish.  It's eclectic and cool and every room is different. Gwen Stefani loved the interiors so much she's having the designer decorate her own home.  If you are seriously craving something out of the ordinary, this is the place.  Very affordable by LA standards at $228 per night.





Maison 140 Lobby
Maison 140 Room
If it's me - I'll stay somewhere a little less obvious but still cool - and then I'll sneak in and have lunch at the The Hollywood Roosevelt or a drink at The Sunset Marquis and rub elbows with the well-heeled.  It's all in the attitude, right? 

For more celebrity frequented hotels: LA celebrity hot spots

All hotel photos from: Oyster.com


0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I didn’t dip my toe in an ocean until I turned 25 and my friend Sandy and I traveled to Puerta Vallarta, Mexico. After that week, I was hooked. I loved being somewhere new; smelling the smells, tasting new food, seeing how other people lived. It energized me. As luck would have it, I landed a job that allowed me to travel all over the US and often to Canada. Being a sports event television producer, I was on the road all the time. That's when my love affair with travel began. Now, its 20 years later and still no one gets more “geeked up” about planning a vacation than I do. All I need is a destination and some travel companions and my fire is lit! I start delving into my favorite hotel sites, sifting through photos and reviews, comparing, contrasting -it’s like an addiction. The travel shows with tips and trends? I study them like a playbook. I LOVE doing the things most people hate doing before they go on vacation. Whether it be searching for a food tasting tour with a local or discovering a romantic B&B in the middle of New York - I’ve found it and I’ll share it with you. So....where should we go?