Eeeewwww......part 2

Anti-microbial remote control from DirectTV
Ok.  I'll own this: I'm a bit of a germ-a-phobe.  Especially in hotel rooms.  Ironically, being a maid at my local Best Western was my first job...perhaps this is where my phobia began (ya think?) The day I had to clean chip dip off a wall and toenail clippings out of a bathtub (shudder) was my last.  

Did you know the most germy thing in your hotel room is not the nasty bedspread that NEVER gets washed, but the TV remote?  Think about it. (but not for too long - ick). My neighbor happens to be a pilot and when he checks into a hotel room he takes the plastic bag off the plastic cups and slips it over the remote.  Genius. But what if you're at..say, the Waldorf and there are no plastic bags available? 

Well, DirectTV has invented something that will make my pilot friend and other grossed-out hotel guests very happy.  The anti-microbial remote control. It's coated with a lovely germ-resistant finish. "The company says the new coating will not change the feel of remote, but will offer up to 99.99 percent protection from harmful organisms such as bacteria, mold and fungi.”   Although still in the testing stage, it shows promise.

Now, if they could just guarantee me a brand new bedspread or duvet cover every time I stay somewhere I could stop bringing my own....(I'm kidding).



To read more: Germ free hotel TV remote

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I didn’t dip my toe in an ocean until I turned 25 and my friend Sandy and I traveled to Puerta Vallarta, Mexico. After that week, I was hooked. I loved being somewhere new; smelling the smells, tasting new food, seeing how other people lived. It energized me. As luck would have it, I landed a job that allowed me to travel all over the US and often to Canada. Being a sports event television producer, I was on the road all the time. That's when my love affair with travel began. Now, its 20 years later and still no one gets more “geeked up” about planning a vacation than I do. All I need is a destination and some travel companions and my fire is lit! I start delving into my favorite hotel sites, sifting through photos and reviews, comparing, contrasting -it’s like an addiction. The travel shows with tips and trends? I study them like a playbook. I LOVE doing the things most people hate doing before they go on vacation. Whether it be searching for a food tasting tour with a local or discovering a romantic B&B in the middle of New York - I’ve found it and I’ll share it with you. So....where should we go?