New York TV & Movie Tour

Carrie Bradshaw's apt. from Sex & The City

I'll admit it.  I'm a TV junkie.  I love TV.  I think it's exciting to see a live television show in production. A few years ago, before a trip to New York, I wrote to the David Letterman show for tickets...over and over again ...and they never responded.  I was bitter.  So bitter in fact, that I haven't watched the Letterman show since. (I'm still working with a therapist).  I was still excited, however, to see the famous Ed Sullivan theater from the outside at least.  Recently, I found a web site with several tours to offer celebrity stalkers like me.  These are film & TV show tours guided by actors and actresses who are certified tour guides.  They'll not only show you different TV and movie locations, but give you tips on how to get tickets to live tapings.  (Hmmm....I guess I could have used them all those years ago).  You'll visit the apartment building from Friends, the Cosby house, the cafe from Seinfeld and many other famous spots.  They'll play a little TV trivia and might even make you sing a theme song or two.  Well, that part would bug me but the rest sounds like fun.  

During our last trip to New York, I did some of my own detective work and found a few places that I really wanted to see.  Carrie Bradshaw's apartment from Sex & The City was (in the show at least) supposed to be on the Upper East Side.  In reality, the inside of the apartment was a set but the real stoop is at 66 Perry Street in the Village.  It was being refurbished when I found it.  They discourage people like me from standing on the steps and even have a little box for donations to keep it looking nice.  Just a block or so away on Bleeker St. is the Magnolia Bakery - the characters' favorite place for cupcakes. It was my own mini-tour, I may not have had a real actress for a guide, but it was fun!

http://www.screentours.com/tour.php/manhattan/ 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I didn’t dip my toe in an ocean until I turned 25 and my friend Sandy and I traveled to Puerta Vallarta, Mexico. After that week, I was hooked. I loved being somewhere new; smelling the smells, tasting new food, seeing how other people lived. It energized me. As luck would have it, I landed a job that allowed me to travel all over the US and often to Canada. Being a sports event television producer, I was on the road all the time. That's when my love affair with travel began. Now, its 20 years later and still no one gets more “geeked up” about planning a vacation than I do. All I need is a destination and some travel companions and my fire is lit! I start delving into my favorite hotel sites, sifting through photos and reviews, comparing, contrasting -it’s like an addiction. The travel shows with tips and trends? I study them like a playbook. I LOVE doing the things most people hate doing before they go on vacation. Whether it be searching for a food tasting tour with a local or discovering a romantic B&B in the middle of New York - I’ve found it and I’ll share it with you. So....where should we go?